Carrie Hayter is a passionate advocate for the rights of people who use social care services.
With over 25 years’ experience working in the sector, Carrie has an intimate working knowledge of the operational, policy and legislative environment of aged and community care, disability services and health care across Australia.
Carrie has a Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) from the University of NSW, Sydney, and a Masters of Economics (Honours) from the University of Sydney.
An active member of the Australian Association of Gerontology since 2006, Carrie is the Vice President of the NSW Branch and convenor of the LGBTI (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex) Ageing Interest group. Carrie has held board positions for the last 6 years in the not-for-profit aged care sector and for professional associations, including the Australian Association of Gerontology. Her professional experience and qualifications include:
- 1993-1997 worked with people with intellectual disability in advocacy and lobbying in NSW.
- 1997-1998 worked in disability policy and program administration for the NSW Government Ageing and Disability Department.
- 1998-2001 lived and worked in London. Involved in the early implementation of personalised and individualised funding for people with disabilities.
- 2001 returned to Australia to work in the community care sector for older people and people with disabilities and implement reforms in community care as a development worker
- 2002-2005 worked for industry body Aged and Community Services NSW & ACT. Instrumental in leading policy reform to make community care services more person-centred in NSW and across Australia.
- 2005 founded Carrie Hayter Consulting.
Maria Poulopoulos, Senior Associate, Facilitator and Trainer
Maria Poulopoulos has over 20 years of experience working for a range of not for profit
community organisations and Registered Training Organisations (RTO). Maria has
a range of expertise which includes; community sector support development and
training, case management, service coordination, community services and qualification-based training and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
Her qualifications include; Associate Degree in Adult Vocational Education and
Training, Advanced Diploma of Community Sector Management and the Diploma of
Maria’s extensive experience has enabled her to expand her passion within the community
services sector to develop extensive and innovative sector projects.
From 2012 to 2018 Maria worked for Macarthur Disability Services (MDS) as the Sector
Support Development and Training Coordinator where she successfully coordinated
and led several key projects:
- Aboriginal Dementia DVD to improve access to services by people from Aboriginal background;
- Positioning Organisations for the New Environment (PONE) for Mainstream, CALD andAboriginal Organisations training packages. This project supported the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) sector through huge change associated with aged care reforms and NDIS transition;
- Reablement and Wellness Training package - an introductory package to support staff in implementing a positive ageing service;
- Development of Community of Practice model within local network forums
Additionally,in this role Maria supported MDS Training
(RTO) in the delivery of Qualification and Recognition of Prior Learning
(RPL) in Community Services Training Packages
From 2009 to 2012 Trainer and Assessor with Australian Employment Training Solutions
(AETS) RTO delivering the Diploma of Community Services
From 1998 to 2009 worked in numerous not for profit community-based organisations
specialising in case management and service coordination for the following
- The Benevolent Society 2007 to 2009
- Community Independence Support Services 2005 to 2007
- CatholicCare Ageing and Disability Services 1998 to 2004
Maria’s vision is to assist community-based services in seeking
opportunities which have a primary focus on community
engagement to achieve inclusiveness within local communities.
One of her areas of focus and passion
is to mentoring and providing support to the workforce in professional
development by assisting individuals to reach their full potential.